In a world that can often seem mundane and predictable, we seek out the unusual, the unexpected, the downright bizarre. We search for surprises that can break the monotony of everyday life and make us see the world anew. Today, we’re exploring a realm where you might not expect to find any peculiarities – the world of insurance. Yes, you read it right, insurance! Our voyage into this uncharted territory will reveal the ten strangest types of insurance policies available. Buckle up; it’s going to be a peculiar ride!
1. Alien Abduction Insurance: As outrageous as it sounds, this coverage exists! Believe it or not, there are insurance providers out there that offer protection in case you’re abducted by extraterrestrials. A London-based firm reportedly has sold over 30,000 such policies since its inception. Just remember, though, you may need substantial proof of your abduction to claim the benefits.
2. Body Part Insurance: Professional athletes and entertainers have been insuring their money-making assets for quite some time. Soccer star David Beckham had his legs insured for a staggering $70 million, while Julia Roberts insured her infectious smile for $30 million. Now, that’s putting a price tag on charm!
3. Paranormal Activity Insurance: Do you live in fear of vampire attacks or werewolf bites? Worry not, because there is an insurance policy just for you. Paranormal Activity Insurance covers damage caused by supernatural beings. It’s a brave new world, indeed!
4. Taste Bud Insurance: In a world where taste is money, renowned food critics and chefs have taken to insuring their taste buds. One prominent case was a coffee taster for Costa Coffee, who insured his taste buds for an astounding $10 million. Talk about taking your job seriously!
5. Fantasy Football Insurance: An injury to a key player can ruin a fantasy sports season, but luckily there’s insurance for that. Yes, Fantasy Football Insurance is a real thing! It can cover your investment in a fantasy football league if your star player is out for a specified number of games.
6. Insurance Against Death by Laughter: Believe it or not, this policy covers the insured in case they die from laughter during a theater performance. We always knew laughter could be the best medicine, but who knew it could be deadly?
7. Multiple Birth Insurance: Expecting a baby can be a joyous but expensive affair. Expecting twins, triplets, or more could be doubly so. Multiple Birth Insurance policies can cover the additional costs of unexpected multiple births, providing a little financial peace of mind to parents-to-be.
8. Hole-in-One Insurance: This one’s for the golf enthusiasts. Some golf tournaments offer expensive prizes for anyone who can score a hole-in-one. To cover the costs of these prizes, organizers can opt for Hole-in-One insurance.
9. Ransom Insurance: This type of insurance, often taken by high-profile executives or celebrities, covers the insured in case they are kidnapped and a ransom is demanded. It’s not a pleasant thing to think about, but in some parts of the world, it’s a necessary protection.
10. Love Insurance: Last, but certainly not least, is Love Insurance. This policy promises to reimburse policyholders if their relationship ends in a breakup. A Japanese company offers this unconventional coverage to safeguard couples from the potential monetary loss associated with a failed relationship.
There you have it folks! The world of insurance, it turns out, is filled with some truly quirky policies. While these bizarre types of insurance may not be for everyone, they remind us of the unpredictability of life and the lengths we’ll go to safeguard against every conceivable risk. They serve as a testament to human creativity, adaptation, and our quirky sense of humor.
So, the next time you’re purchasing a homeowner’s or car insurance policy, remember that somewhere in the world, someone might be insuring themselves against a werewolf attack or protecting their prized taste buds. And who knows, the day might come when you find yourself in need of a policy as eccentric as these. Because in this beautiful, chaotic world we live in, it truly does pay to expect the unexpected.
Reach out to book a review with one of our associates to make sure you’re getting the best coverages at the best prices.