Does driving experience outside of Canada & USA count?

The majority of insurance carriers will only consider driving experience from the continental USA or Canada.

What is home and property insurance?

Home and property insurance protects against events such as fire, lightning or windstorms, which can cause loss or damage to your home or the personal property in your home.

What is condo insurance?

If you own a condo, our condominium insurance packages provide your personal property and liability coverage. They also include unique coverage to meet the needs of condo life. Condominium Protection Coverages takes care of the essentials for condominium owners, such as your responsibility for common area damage, coverage for your unit improvements, and to help with shortfalls in your condominium corporation’s policy. Our policy also includes coverage towards amounts you may be required to pay for deductibles in your condominium corporation’s policy.

How much insurance do I need for my home?

The best way to ensure you have the correct insurance coverage is to have your home evaluated. Your Financial Advisor can assist you by determining the replacement value of your home. Replacement value is different from market value. It’s the cost of materials and labour needed to rebuild your home from scratch, not what your home would sell for on the current real estate market. The value of your personal belongings can be determined by taking an inventory of everything you need to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.

What does my home insurance cover?

Your home insurance usually covers your home and/or personal property for fire, lightning, explosion, falling objects, water, smoke, windstorm, hail, vandalism, theft, and more. But every policy is different. Consult your Financial Advisor for specifics.

How do I reduce my home insurance premiums?

You can help lower your home insurance premiums in several ways: increase your deductible, maintain your home by replacing older roof or siding, safeguard it by installing various recommended safety features, bundle all your insurance through one company, and stay mindful of the area you’re buying in. Also, talk to your Financial Advisor about reviewing your coverage to make sure you’re getting all the discounts you could be eligible for.

How do I protect my property from fire?

Most people know the basics of fire safety at home, such as installing a smoke alarm, not leaving burning candles unattended and keeping a fire extinguisher on hand. Here are a few more things you can do to prevent fires at home.

How do I protect my property from flood?

It’s impossible to predict the whims of nature, but you can plan ahead and complete some simple home maintenance (inventory your belongings, clean drains, eavestroughs, downspouts, catch basins and gutters, etc.) to reduce your risk of flooding. Here’s a comprehensive list of what to do before, during and after a flood.

How are home insurance rates calculated?

Insurance rates, or premiums, are based on risk, or the potential that someone will make a claim. The greater the risk, the higher the premium; the lower the risk, the lower the premium. To set rates, we study the claims history of groups of people with similar characteristics and then add information about your particular history to determine the exact premium.

What impacts my home insurance premiums?

The factors used to determine your home insurance premium are specific to your individual situation and may include age, size, features and location of your property. Here are some other factors that could determine your premium.

I'm doing renovations around my house. Should I tell my insurance company?

Yes, it is a good idea to advise your insurance company when completing renovations to your home. Depending on the renovations completed, the replacement value of your home may need to be adjusted. It could also mean a reduction in your premium if, for example, you updated your plumbing system.

Am I liable if someone gets hurt on my property?

You would only be liable if you were found legally responsible for the injury.

Why is auto insurance regulated by provincial governments?

Depending on the province, regulators oversee how insurance companies assess risk, determine price, and handle claims. They also actively determine which factors insurers can and can’t use when setting auto insurance rates. Insurers must have their risk classification system approved by provincial regulators and receive approval any time they want to change their rates. Learn more.

What factors impact my premiums?

Many factors can impact your premium, such as your driving experience, driving and claims records (accidents, tickets, etc.), the type of car you drive, where you drive, how much you drive, the discounts you qualify for, the amount of coverage you purchase and your deductible.

How can I lower my annual premium?

If you’re insured with The Co-operators, you can get discounts for installing winter tires, bundling multiple products (such as Home and Auto) or insuring multiple vehicles. For the best results, call for a quick quote before you buy your insurance. Here are other ways to save on auto insurance.

What is no-fault insurance?

Also called Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD), this insurance covers the cost of loss or damage to your car in a collision for which you were not entirely responsible. To qualify, the other driver must be identified, insured and found to be at least partially at fault. In some provinces, you can no longer sue another person for damage to your car. How does it work? Your insurance company considers your fault level and deductible to determine if you’re eligible for compensation. You receive compensation if you’re determined to be partly responsible or not responsible at all for the accident. DCPD is only available in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec. Be sure to review your car insurance policy for specific details, restrictions and exclusions. Find out more about how your insurance may be affected if you are at-fault.

Does my insurance policy cover someone else who drives my car?

Yes, you can loan your vehicle to family and friends who have a valid driver’s license. If they’re involved in a claim on the vehicle, your policy/premium will be impacted.

What should I do if I’m in an accident?

Here are the basics: stay at the scene, check for injuries and call 911 if necessary. Next, assess the situation, check for damage to your vehicle, take pictures and collect information (names, license plate numbers, insurance information, etc.). Limit conversation about the collision with other drivers. Call the police and file a report. Contact your insurance company. Here’s a complete step by step guide with more details.
Location Pop-Up